Characterisation checks – Round Robin
There are many different variants of graphene and different suppliers do not specify the material in an equivalent way. Therefore it can be difficult to find the right kind of graphene with the desired well defined material properties. To solve this, SIO Grafen launched characterisation checks in 2017. Through this offer, companies that have a need for characterisation and quality assurance of graphene can apply for a check to finance a materials analysis (no co-funding required). The results will be used to build and open database. To speed up the work with building knowledge for the open database, SIO Grafen is now offering up to 80 000 SEK to characterise the graphene material (no co-financing is required).
PARTICIPATION FOR ANALYSIS SUPPLIERS
We are offering analysis suppliers the possibility to apply for participation in the Round Robin studie and to perform analysis of the materials in this studie. It is possible for two organisations to make a joint application. We are offering up to 80 000 SEK per application, as compensation for the implementation of analyzes of all materials and by all methods.
Analyses to be performed
1. Size and distribution of flakes (SEM)
2. Thickness iof flakes (BET (surface area))
3. Percentage of oxygen of the flakes (XPS)
Mandatory startup session (in September) for responsible executives includes:
• General discussion on sample preparation and agreement that all analysts carry the same kind of sample preparation
• Discussion of the number of flags to be analysed for SEM size measurement statistics
• General best practice discussion on the different analysis methods
• Discussion of how the analysis results will be presented
The location and timing of the start-up meeting is determined jointly by the participating actors.
MATERIAL TO ANALYSE
SIO Grafens programme office will buy graphene materials (flakes of graphene and graphene oxide) and divides it into anonymous jars and distributes it to the different analysis provides. When the results are returned, we will announce what graphene material the different samples contained and which material supplier that supplied the material. The results are compiled in the database.
APPLICATION SHOULD INCLUDE
- The applying organisation.
- Responsible person who quality assures the entirety of the delivery, including a CV for this person.
- If more persons than the person involved participate as analysts, these persons should be listed and their CV should be attached.
- Description of why they want to participate in this Round-Robin.
- Description of the instruments they have.
- Description of how they usually make a sample preparation for this type of analysis.
- Estimated cost of analysis.
The Program Office evaluates the applications according to the following criteria:
- Only one application per organization.
- The application is submitted by a registered legal person.
- Applicants should have relevant equipment.
- The results must be open and delivered no later than 2 months after material has been obtained.
- Mandatory participation at the start-up meeting.
- Experience in analysing graphene materials.
- Responsible person should be a senior with proven experience (i.e. not students or doctoral students), which quality assures the overall delivery. Experienced doctoral students can perform single measurements following instructions from the responsible person.
If ranking is necessary (if more than 4 proposals meet the requirements), an assessment is made based on:
- Priority of those who can complete all analysis methods.
- Cost of the analyses.
If more than four applications meet the requirements, an external assessment committee is used. It consists of the program manager of SIO Grafen and two external reviewers.
• Deadline for submitting application for analysis providers is 30 August, 2018.
• Start-up meeting takes place in September. The material to be analysed is distributed at this meeting.
• 30 November is the deadline for submitting the results from the measurements.
Submit an application form (Ansökningsmall) by e-mail to email@example.com by 30 August. (Also read above above what the application should contain).
Closing date: 30 August 2018